Our approach to awards
At Flow, we believe our work for our clients comes first. We are committed to never doing work with awards first in mind, or doing work only for the purpose of entering awards.
PRISM Awards (2019)
Flow won four PRISM Awards and a special mention for excellence in public relations in 2019. These included:
- Gold PRISM (in the Healthcare category) for the #NewBlood campaign with the South African National Blood Service
- Silver PRISM (in the Public Sector category) for the #AlwaysRemember campaign with the Road Accident Fund
- Silver PRISM (in the Communications Research category) for She Conquers campaign, on behalf of the United Nations Population Fund and the South African national Department of Health)
- Silver PRISM (in the Social Media category, where social media was the primary method of communication, with no social media spend) for work with the Nelson Mandela Foundation on the 16th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture.
- In addition, we got a special mention in the NGO category for our work on Casual Day 2018 on behalf of the National Council of and for Persons with Physical Disabilities in South Africa (NCPPDSA).
New Generation Awards (2018)
Flow Communications won six awards across a variety of categories for five different clients at the 2018 New Generation Social & Digital Media Awards. Awards included:
- Blogging Excellence – Sponsored by MediaCom: Gauteng Tourism Authority (GTA) – GTA blog (Gold)
- Best Online PR Campaign: Nelson Mandela Foundation (NMF) – 16th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture with Barack Obama (Silver)
- Most Innovative App Developed by an Agency: City Sightseeing – City Sightseeing Business System (Silver)
- Most Viral Campaign by an Agency: South African National Blood Service (SANBS) – #NewBlood (Silver)
- Best Intranet: City Sightseeing – City Sightseeing Business System (Gold)
- Best Online Newsletter: Hollard – #InsuranceTips (Bronze)
Flow won its first-ever PRISM Award in 2018, claiming gold in the Healthcare category for a campaign done on behalf of the South African National Blood Service.
Read the related article: “Flow wins gold at the 2018 PRISM Awards”.
International Women’s Entrepreneurial Challenge
Tiffany Turkington-Palmer (Flow’s MD) and Tara Turkington (Flow’s CEO) were the first sisters ever to be awardees in the International Women’s Entrepreneurial Challenge (IWEC) in November, 2017.
The sisters were nominated for the award by the Cape Chamber of Commerce, and travelled to Seattle, USA, to receive their awards.
New Generation Awards (2017)
In 2017, Flow scooped a record 10 New Generation Social & Digital Media Awards. The awards won by Flow were:
- Best Online PR Campaign: Ster-Kinekor, for Ghostbusters (Gold)
- Most Innovative Use of Social Media: Mango Airlines (Silver)
- Outstanding Social Customer Care: Mango Airlines (Silver)
- Blogging Excellence: Gauteng Tourism Authority (Silver)
- Best Use of Social Media to Research and Evaluate: South African Society of Anaesthesiologists (Silver)
- Best Revenue Marketing Campaign/Event: City Sightseeing, for the Cape Point Explorer tour launch (Silver)
- Best App Developed by an Agency: Constitution Hill (Silver)
- Best App Developed by an Agency: National Department of Tourism (Bronze)
- Best Intranet: VAT IT (Bronze)
- Best Agency Community Engagement Manager: Melanie-Ann Feris (Bronze)
Gold Loerie Award (2017)
Flow’s PR team won a gold award at the 2017 Loerie Awards.
The win – shared jointly with M&C Saatchi Abel and Native VML – was for a Nando’s campaign titled “Reconciliation Table”, which ran on social feeds under the #NoBeef hashtag. M&C Saatchi Abel, as the lead agency, entered the campaign in the Loeries PR & Media Communication: PR Campaign category.
New Generation Awards (2016)
Flow walked away with seven New Generation awards in 2016: two golds, which included best app developed by an agency, three silvers and two bronze.
The list of awards:
- Best app developed by an agency – Gold (City Sightseeing)
- Best online newsletter – Gold (Table Mountain Aerial Cableway)
- Best social media reach from an event – Silver (Nelson Mandela Foundation’s 2016 Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture)
- Best corporate website – Silver (The Collection by Liz McGrath)
- Most innovative use of social media – Silver (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation #BestOfAfrica campaign)
- Best low-budget campaign – Bronze (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation #BestOfAfrica campaign)
- Most innovative business app developed by a corporate – Bronze (City Sightseeing’s “bus-iness” app)
Read the related article: “Flow wins seven New Generation awards”.
New Generation Awards (2015)
Showcasing the diversity of the work done by Flow Communications, we were nominated for 10 awards in 2015 and walked away with seven, for work done for five different clients.
The list of awards:
- Best community engagement – Silver (South African Tourism for #MeetSouthAfrica campaign)
- Best corporate website – Silver (Table Mountain Aerial Cableway)
- Most viral campaign – Silver (Nelson Mandela Foundation for Mandela Day 2015)
- Best integrated marketing campaign – Bronze (Hollard for Daredevil Run)
- Most innovative app – Bronze (South African Tourism for Madiba’s Journey)
- Online strategy of the year – Bronze (SAA – Ebola)
- Best app developed – Bronze (South African Tourism for Madiba’s Journey)
Read the related article: “Flow scoops seven New Generation Awards”.
New Generation Awards (2014)
Flow scooped six New Generation digital awards in 2014 – two gold and four silver, for work done for South African Tourism, Mandela Day (through the Nelson Mandela Foundation) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) South Africa:
- Excellence in content marketing – Gold (South African Tourism)
- Top graphic designer award – Gold (Mandela Day)
- Legacy award – Silver (South African Tourism for #MeetSouthAfrica campaign)
- Best low budget campaign – Silver (WWF-SA for #iam4rhinos campaign)
- Best use of social media in a loyalty programme – Silver (#MeetSouthAfrica)
- Innovative use of digital media – Silver (South African Tourism for the Big Five)
Gold Cannes Lion (2013)
Cape Town Tourism’s Facebook campaign, “My Cape Town Holiday”, won a Cannes Lions Gold Award in the Branded Content category. Cape Town Tourism partnered with Ogilvy Cape Town and Flow Communications to conceptualise and develop the Facebook app that underpinned the campaign.
Read the related article: “Cape Town Tourism wins gold at Cannes Lions”.
Gold Loerie Award (2013)
Flow won a Gold Loerie for our work on the “My Cape Town Holiday” Facebook app campaign.
Read the related Cape Town Tourism article here: “2013 Gold Loerie Award for Cape Town Tourism”.