Flow Communications is on the hunt for a senior digital/UX designer to join its Johannesburg team. Our ideal candidate will be responsible for guiding the entire design process, presenting designs to stakeholders and working alongside developers to ensure accurate implementation.
The designer will be responsible for overseeing all user experience and design aspects of the organisation, working with Flow’s design and creative team to develop a cohesive experience to ensure user satisfaction.
Accountability and ownership
As a senior UX/UI designer, it will be your duty to complete the tasks you are assigned and to be present for your shifts to fulfil and further the goals of the organisation.
Duties and responsibilities
- Partner with the creative team and developers to maintain a cohesive design and user experience throughout our products, providing expertise and mentorship
- Lead junior designers. Coach your team through reviews and feedback. Support their UX/UI growth. Raise the capacity, skills and quality of user-centred design on your team
- Exercise your expertise in performance, architecture and object-oriented design to deliver compelling customer experiences
- Critique in-progress design work, evaluating the priority and effectiveness of solutions
- Develop and lead the design team to improve the range of research methods used
- Employ design thinking and questioning techniques to develop strategies and execution plans where pathways are not always obvious
- Provide and encourage feedback from your team and other designers
- Successfully use and apply wireframes in order to interface concepts
- Create prototypes to show and demonstrate interactions
- Conduct usability testing to validate design concepts
- Regularly participate in design reviews
- Study analytics to understand user behaviour
Qualifications and requirements
- At least eight years’ experience in visual user-interface design
- Ability to create clean, visually consistent designs
- In-depth knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign, Adobe XD, Illustrator and Microsoft Office/Google Apps; experience with Adobe After Effects video editing is a plus
- Understanding and appreciating standard user-interface design concepts and processes
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present complex concepts clearly and persuasively across diverse audiences at various levels of our organisation
- Meticulous attention to detail and exceptional organisational skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple design requests in a timely fashion, with competing priorities and deadlines
- Experience in testing websites and software on a variety of platforms, including iOS and Android mobile and other devices
- Previous experience with user-centred design principles and practices, web/mobile standards, and typography and colour
- Have contributed as a leader in design and been a strong collaborator across product managers and engineers
- Knowledgeable in creating wireframes, visual mock-up graphics, user workflows, and low- and high-fidelity prototypes
- Ability to work with designers and developers to implement new ideas
Attitude and behaviour
- Possess solid presentation, listening and communication skills
- Able to work quickly and efficiently
- Strong organisation and problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage and execute multiple projects
- Solution-oriented, hard worker who is passionate about visual and digital design
- Proactive, with the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Professional, positive attitude with a strong work ethic and willingness to observe and learn
- Take direction well and be able to excel in a highly collaborative work environment
- Ensure all work consistently meets established brand standards and guidelines
To apply: Submit your portfolio, showing your UI and UX skills, your CV, and a motivation explaining why you are the best candidate for the position, to email@example.com.
Please note: Flow does not accept unsolicited approaches from recruitment agencies.